Hanging pictures is an art. If you’ve ever done it yourself, you know that’s a true statement. So how is it that your neighbors have great collections of family photos neatly arranged on the wall? How did they do it?
With a little planning and patience, hanging pictures can be done easily. Whether your goal is to hang a single dramatic serigraph or a collection of black and white sketches, by following a few steps you can make your art or photos look fabulous.
1) Select your collage of photos or artwork according to a theme or some type of similarity. The art in the collection should include related subject matter or color. It’s O.K. for the shapes and sizes of the frames to vary.
2) Pick an odd number of your favorite pieces. An odd number will have greater visual interest and greater flexibility. To create a uniform look, choose frames that are similar in style or finish. With photos, use mats that are the same width and color.
3) Create templates of the pictures. Lay the pictures on brown craft paper on the floor making sure the grouping will fit within the available wall space. Trace around the frames and cut out templates. Label the templates for identification and mark the location of the hanging wire or tabs.
4) Attach the templates to the wall with reusable adhesive or poster tape. Be careful not to use masking tape because it will leave residue on the wall. Use the template and a pencil to mark on the wall where picture hangers should go.
5) Create balance within the grouping. Select a single favorite piece as the center of the collection, grouping the other pieces around it and keeping a consistent distance between each one. It’s fine to hang pictures in a straight line if you have two or three matching pieces which will only coordinate when hung side by side.
6) Hang your artwork at eye level. The biggest mistake made when pictures are hung is that they’re placed too high on the wall.
Hanging art creatively will add warmth to a room and create visual interest. Visit either of Connell’s Furniture and Mattresses two showrooms in Mt. Vernon or Newark, and one of our talented representative will help you find just the right wall décor to hang in your home.