We’ve all heard different decorating myths from time-to-time. Do this and don’t that to avoid color clashes or a mismatch of patterns. Nonetheless, the most common decorating myths are false! They take away from our creative inspiration and limit our designs. At Connell’s Furniture & Mattresses, we encourage you to get creative and remember, these are simply myths.
1. You can have only one metallic tone in a room. Take a quick trip to your local home improvement store and check out some of their kitchen displays. You’ll notice silver and gold tones are mixed. Keep this in mind when you consider your kitchen design and drawer pulls for your bedroom.
2. Never mix floral and plaid patterns. If you look at some modern living room designs, companies now coordinate floral and plaid patterns in the same color pattern to be used together. As long as the color pattern remains constant, it’s safe to mix floral and plaid patterns.
3. Pick one style and stick with it! Modern designs reflect many different eclectic influences. It’s safe to change your style from room-to-room, and even within the same room. Whether you prefer a casual or a more formal approach to furnishing your home, the contrast of different styles enlivens the space.
4. Never place your furniture symmetrically. As we noted above, since you can mix floral patterns with plaid, the left side of your room doesn’t have to match the right. Use asymmetry to create a focal point and interest, while leading to a more casual style.
5. Books belong on bookshelves. Books are a great way to add color and interest to a room. A common use of books, off of the bookshelf, is to place them on the coffee table as a focal point or talking point. Stacks of books can also be used to elevate a lamp or a plant in a table top arrangement. If you are feeling adventurous, you can stack several oversized books to the side of a chair to serve as an end table. When you use a bookcase, not every book has to be standing on end; try laying some flat and place decorative accessories on top.
Home design should not be restrictive, it should be freeing. Visit us at Connell’s Furniture & Mattress in Newark and Mt. Vernon for some clever design tips that are outside of the box.