Without a doubt, color is perhaps the most important decorating element. And even though it may seem like a daunting task, choosing a color scheme to tie your entire home together doesn’t have to be chore. Simply choose some colors you love as a starting point, and read on for some tips from Connell’s Furniture & Mattresses to make your favorite colors work together throughout your entire home.
How to pick your colors
Find an object (which we’ll refer to as an inspiration piece) with a color scheme you enjoy. Your inspiration piece should generally be something multicolored like a rug, throw or even a picture. Use your inspiration pieces to select the hues that work well together throughout your entire home.
Applying your colors to different rooms
Give each room its own color and personality. As you repeat your color scheme throughout your house in different rooms, it will tie your rooms together to create a feeling of comfort and cohesion.
How do I decide what color to use in a certain room?
Start with the rooms where you spend a good chunk of your time. Decide what kind of feel or mood you want to create in those rooms, and then ask yourself what colors will help you achieve that mood. Use that color for the walls and/or ceiling. For furniture, look for fabrics that combine your inspiration piece colors in varying amounts and shades.
Never feel like you have to match colors perfectly. Remember, you love the colors in your home and the feel and comfort they give to your rooms. And if you believe the color just isn’t right, try a darker or lighter shade. Always choose the colors you like best for decorating success!
Choosing a color for a certain feel
- Red: Red can be common in dining rooms, bedrooms and studies. Red expresses passion, zeal, and can help with appetite.
- Orange: Orange is a very warm color and hard to tone down. Consider using this only as an accent color.
- Yellow: Pale yellow creates a bright, crisp pleasing environment, while sharp yellow can create deterrence.
- Green: Green is a peaceful color that blends well in any room and will compliment your existing color scheme.
- Blue: Blue is also a peaceful color. Light blues make a room refreshing, while a dark blue can be somber.
- Violet: Violet can communicate romance, but it’s being used more commonly in living rooms or bedrooms to create a feel of serenity.
Whatever color combination you choose, come to Connell’s Furniture & Mattress in Mt. Vernon and Newark for friendly advice and a great selection of quality furniture sure to create a beautiful color combination for your entire home.